[Lustre-discuss] How builds will be numbered in future Lustre releases

Christopher J. Morrone morrone2 at llnl.gov
Fri Feb 26 15:42:58 PST 2010

I assume that there will be some modifications to
lustre/autoconf/lustre-version.ac and elsewhere to support this?

While you are in there, I'd like to request that you add a field for
third-party folks to add their own version.  For instance, we add a
"-20chaos" tag to our version numbers to distinguish them from
Sun/Oracle releases.  But to get that number into Lustre we are
currently using the LUSTRE_VERS environment variable, which has at least
two problems:

1) Our branch of lustre does not contain OUR version number.  All of the
scripting to embed our additional version number are in external
scripts.  If someone takes one of our tags and builds it, the resulting
rpm will have a normal upstream version number.  That could lead to
unnecessary confusion about what they are running.

2) Our automated rpm builder operates on src rpms only.  Unfortunately,
even if we set LUSTRE_VERS when we generate the src rpm, that version
isn't retained anywhere when the binary rpms are built from the src rpm.
  So we wind up having scripts to rewrite the spec on the fly to embed
the version number.

It would just be alot easier if there was an additional version field
for third-parties.

To digress further:

Now that we are all using git, the date that is embedded in snapshot
builds of lustre is not terribly useful.  I would like to propose that
we start using "git describe" instead of a timestamp.  For those that
haven't seen that command before:

$ git describe
1.8.2.0-20chaos-2-g4d485b2

That says that I am currently 2 commits beyond the refspec
1.8.2.0-20chaos (an annotated tag in this case, but it could also be a
branch name), and the commit is 4d485b2.  (No, I don't know why the "g"
is in there. :))

If that is too long, maybe just a commit number?