[Lustre-discuss] Lustre reading file and RAM

Andreas Dilger adilger at sun.com
Fri Jan 1 22:06:53 PST 2010

On 2010-01-01, at 15:38, Mag Gam wrote:
> We are running 1.6.7.2 OSS and Clients. If there are 50 clients
> accessing the same 10gig file would the 10gig file go into memory of
> the OSS or for each access it starts over? My OSS has 32gig of memory.

The OSS read-only cache feature was not introduced until 1.8.  With
1.6 it will read the same data from disk each time.

Note that if you have multiple OSS nodes it makes sense to stripe the
file over all of the OSS nodes, since it is large and many clients
access it, it will increase the aggregate bandwidth for access to that
file.

Sr. Staff Engineer, Lustre Group
Sun Microsystems of Canada, Inc.