[Lustre-discuss] NFS re-exporting lustre

Frederik Ferner frederik.ferner at diamond.ac.uk
Mon Jan 4 09:39:29 PST 2010

Aaron Knister wrote:
> Just wondering if anybody is successfully NFS exporting their lustre
> filesystem. I'm also curious to hear about experiences doing this. I
> tried this back with some of the early 1.6 releases and ended up with
> the lustre nfs exports freezing after a few minutes of heavy i/o and
> having to reboot the nfs server for activity to resume.

Yes, we NFS export our Lustre file system without too much problems. We
certainly don't have to reboot the NFS server.

This is with RHEL5 and Lustre 1.6.6 (and 1.6.7.2) on the NFS servers.

I'm not sure if our usage counts as heavy i/o, but some of our detectors
write via NFS and we reach transfer rates of 20-40MB/s over 1Gig
ethernet without problems when both Lustre and NFS traffic use the same
1G NIC.

We also use NFS server to export the file system to our workstations and
have not noticed any stability problems.

We use the (RHEL default) kernel NFSd.

If you check the archives you'll find a message from me about soft
lockups on NFS but I later discovered that it seems samba in combination
with a kernel bug was to blame for that as we've never seen these issues
on a NFS server that was not also samba server.

Hope this helps, feel free to ask for more details if you want to know more.

Regards,
Frederik

--
Frederik Ferner
Computer Systems Administrator		phone: +44 1235 77 8624