[Lustre-discuss] Clustered MDS & OSS Servers

Jagga Soorma jagga13 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 09:18:43 PST 2010

How would the OSS's and client's communicate with the MDS server in a
failover situation?

This is how I am doing things:

mds01: mkfs.lustre --fsname=fsname --mdt --mgs /dev/vgname/lvname

oss01: mkfs.lustre --ost --fsname=fsname
--failnode=oss02 at o2ib3--mgsnode=mds01 at o2ib3/dev/mapper/mpath0
oss02: mkfs.lustre --ost --fsname=fsname
--failnode=oss01 at o2ib3--mgsnode=mds01 at o2ib3/dev/mapper/mpath0

client01: mount -t lustre mds01-ib at o2ib3:/fsname /mnt

Now, if mds01 fails over to mds02, how would the client communicate with the
new MDS server if the IP changes?

What would the mkfs.lustre commands look like for a HA setup for MDS & OSS.

Also, is there a downfall for using a virtual IP for the MDS's?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.
-J