[Lustre-discuss] Permanently delete OST

Lundgren, Andrew Andrew.Lundgren at Level3.com
Mon Jan 25 10:38:39 PST 2010

Level 3 requested this feature be developed in 1.6.  The after Sun did some work for us, the following is the procedure that we have setup for usage.  IIRC the functionality was enabled in 1.6.7.  We have tested it in 1.8.0.

(We have done it in our development and test lab, but never in production, as we haven't needed it yet.)

*On the MDS, make the affected (missing) OST read only by deactivating it.
*On a client, find all of the files that are now missing/damaged using the lfs getstripe --odb OST_NAME recursively on the impacted filesystem. (save for removal and restoration)
*Remove all of the damaged files from luster using unlink on each filename found above.
*On the MDS, permanently deactivate the OST that is gone using the --perm flag on the deactivate command.

*Format out the replacement OST using the index number that you just deactivated.
*On the MDS, activate the OST again using the --perm flag.
*Mount the OST back into the filesystem.
*Restore the files that were lost from the list created above.