[Lustre-discuss] On which OSS are the OST?

Christopher J. Morrone morrone2 at llnl.gov
Mon Jan 25 15:32:21 PST 2010

Richard Lefebvre wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been going through the operations manual, but I can't find the
> answer of how to find on which OSS each OST are?

Yes, that seems like an oversight to me too.  I'd like to see lfs have a
new command to make this lookup easier.

If you have access to the servers, you could run something like:

   pdsh -w host[1-128] "lctl dl |grep obdfilter"

But if you want to figure it out from just one place, say a client,
thats pretty difficult to piece together from the various commands.

Attached is my "ostmapping" script that you can run on a lustre client.
  It farms various places: lfs, lctl, /proc, and lists all oss nids
showing the osts that are currently being exported to the client on
which you run the command.  If the nid looks like an IP address, it even
tries to lookup the hostname associated with the address.

If anyone has a better way to do this, let me know!

Run "ostmapping -h" to see the options.  You can also ask it to just
show the oss and osts for one filesystem, or just the osts for one oss.

Here's a sample of the its output:

172.16.2.1 at tcp (tycho1-lnet0)
     lc1-OST0000_UUID      0     ACTIVE
     lc1-OST0008_UUID      8     ACTIVE