[Lustre-discuss] full ost

gvozden rovina gracisce at gmail.com
Fri Jan 29 01:32:26 PST 2010

Hello!

I'm new to lustre and I have just one question.
While reading literature and playing with my test
lustre system I've noticed that there is strange (for me) issue with full
OST. For instance i copied 2.5 GB file to lustre which had 120 GB storage
space (I have 2GB test OSTs) and it didn't automatically recognized full OST
but it simply stopped working with " No space left on device" error message.
There was plenty of space left on filesystem (cca 100GB). I'm aware that I
can stripe the file over several OSTs but this should be done automatically!
If the system detect that one of the OST is full it should put it in offline
state automatically.  I just cant believe that I have to manualy watch over
which OST is getting full and putting it offline like it is described here:
http://wiki.lustre.org/index.ph/Handling_Full_OSTs . Can that be automated?
Is it already done? Why it is not part of lustre? Some future version?

Thank you for your answer!