[Lustre-discuss] Lustre SLES 11 Clients - How to deal with updates

Jagga Soorma jagga13 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 30 19:01:16 PST 2010

Hi Guys,

I am building our sles 11 lustre clients and was wondering how people deal
with updates.  Here are some options I was thinking about:

1) Build the systems and patch everything except the kernel.  Then install
the lustre client and kernel-ib rpm's.  In the future we would upgrade
everything except the kernel.  Not sure about future dependency issues with
upgrading everything except the kernel.

2) Build the systems and patch everything.  Then compile the lustre-client
lustre-modules and kernel-ib instead of using the sun provided rpm's.  We
will have to compile every time we upgrade our servers.

How do people handle updates on the client side.  Is it easy to compile and
maintain the lustre client?  Where can I find detailed instructions on
compiling the client?

Thanks in advance,
-J