[Lustre-discuss] Lustre file access / locking

Arne Wiebalck arne.wiebalck at cern.ch
Thu Jul 1 03:35:32 PDT 2010

Dear list,

I got some basic questions concerning how file access in Lustre
works: from what I understand, Lustre clients lock file
ranges with the server before executing I/O operations. What
does a client get on its next I/O call in case the server needs
to revoke the lock (the server can do that, right?): does
the client try to re-acquire the lock, block and then time
out (in case the server does not grant the lock again to that
client)?

TIA,
  Arne