[Lustre-discuss] short writes

Brian J. Murrell Brian.Murrell at Oracle.COM
Thu Jul 8 07:08:50 PDT 2010

On Thu, 2010-07-08 at 07:53 -0600, Kevin Van Maren wrote:
> Hi David,

Hey Kevin,

> http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/000095399/functions/write.html

Heh.  Funny enough, I was reading the exact same URL.

> I always thought libc should
> handle the retry for you by default, but I didn't write the spec.

write(2) is a system call, not a libc function.  fwrite(3) is a
comparable libc function, so libc might be able to handle short
write(2)s in fwrite(3), but really it should not (IMHO) be mucking with
write(2) (or any other) system calls.

b.