[Lustre-discuss] No space left on device on not full filesystem

Brian J. Murrell Brian.Murrell at Oracle.COM
Fri Jul 9 08:45:15 PDT 2010

On Fri, 2010-07-09 at 12:51 +0400, Katya Tutlyaeva wrote:

> Really, I have running out of inodes,

Indeed, as many of us had suspected.

> [client]$ lfs df -i
>
> UUID                    Inodes     IUsed     IFree IUse% Mounted on
>
> lustre-MDT0000_UUID   13111096  13111096         0  100% /mnt/lustre[MDT:0]

> Would you be so kind to give me the advice How can I tune number of
> inodes without loss of data?

The safest method is to create a new, larger MDT and shut down the
filesystem and rsync the existing MDT to the new MDT, paying attention
to the process in the manual for doing this, in particular, preserving
extended attributes.

> And which number of inodes I need?

That depends on how many files you expect your Lustre system to contain.

> I’m
> newbie in Lustre.. If I'll set  -N 20000000 to create 2 millions  of
> inodes it will take 2000000*512/(1024*1024) =  9765.625 MB of  MDS
> capacity? (Inode size is near 512 bytes, isn't it?) Where can I look the
> inode size?

I believe there are sizing guidelines in the manual as well.

b.