[Lustre-discuss] How to determine which lustre clients are loading filesystem.

Andreas Dilger andreas.dilger at oracle.com
Fri Jul 9 10:26:58 PDT 2010

On 2010-07-08, at 16:11, Bernd Schubert wrote:
>> Bernd, would you (or anyone) be interested to enhance those tools to be able to show stats data from multiple files at once (each prefixed by the device name and/or client NID)?  I don't think it makes sense to create separate tools for this.
>
> I'm not sure if the existing lustre tools are really what we need. If you have a cluster with 200 or more clients and then want to figure out which clients are doing most IO, several lines per client provide too much output.

I agree, but having a 200-column line is also not very useful.  I like the "llobdstat" output where it prints the IO numbers, and then appends only the abbreviated values that are changing for that interval, instead of printing all of the values.

> One line sorted by IO seems to be better, IMHO.

The commands that I posted using the rpc_history file will print out a summary of all client RPC counts sorted by maximum user.  Something similar could be done by aggregating all of the per-client stats as well, though it would mean touching a lot more input files for each interval.

> I would be for interested to enhance the existing tools, but then if I look into the number of open bugs I have, several of those have a higher priorty (btw, this script is among my bug list (bug 22469)).

I was actually hoping that someone else might take it up.  The llstat and llobdstat scripts are perl, and there should be a good number of people who could do a bit of perl hacking.

The scripts are currently "vmstat" or "iostat" like, in that they print out the parameters as they change over time.  It might also be interesting (if someone has the perl-fu to do it) to have a "top" mode, where it resets the screen position each time and sorts the output from all of the clients.

Lustre Technical Lead
Oracle Corporation Canada Inc.