[Lustre-discuss] short writes

Andrew Perepechko Andrew.Perepechko at Sun.COM
Wed Jul 14 16:07:39 PDT 2010

Hello John,

please note that the Lustre client does not write data to a disk device,
rather it sends and receives data through network, particularly, through a
socket in case of ksocklnd. Even if the call may not be considered
slow with respect to indefiniteness, it still is slow as compared to the
"fast I/O" (local disk I/O). I can recall several requests of adding
even more interruption points made by people who were looking for the support
of premature read/write termination (and, I believe, l_wait_event usage in
1.8 is such that since a network request has been sent, the read/write
system call cannot be interrupted until the corresponding lustre timeout
has happened or a reply has been received)

Best wishes,
Andrew.

--
John L. Hammond, Ph.D.