[Lustre-discuss] I/O errors with NAMD

Andreas Dilger andreas.dilger at ORACLE.COM
Thu Jul 22 15:43:29 PDT 2010

On 2010-07-22, at 14:59, Richard Lefebvre wrote:
> I have a problem with the Scalable molecular dynamics software NAMD. It
> write restart files once in a while. But sometime the binary write
> crashes. The when it crashes is not constant. The only constant thing is
> it happens when it writes on our Lustre file system. When it write on
> something else, it is fine. I can't seem find any errors in any of the
> /var/log/messages. Anyone had any problems with NAMD?

Rarely has anyone complained about Lustre not providing error messages when there is a problem, so if there is nothing in /var/log/messages on either the client or the server then it is hard to know whether it is a Lustre problem or not...

If possible, you could try running the application under strace (limited to the IO calls, or it would be much too much data) to see which system call the error is coming from.

Lustre Technical Lead
Oracle Corporation Canada Inc.