[Lustre-discuss] change raid5 to raid6 using lustre kernel

Brock Palen brockp at umich.edu
Mon Jul 26 11:33:03 PDT 2010

I know the lustre kernel has some patches to MD in there.
We have some x4500 and x4540 that we run lustre 1.6.x on as servers.  We currently use raid5 plus spares.  We were wondering about reshaping them into raid6 by taking in the spare.

Reading online this appears doable with recent version of mdadm which because we are on rhel4 for servers we do not have.  I didn't know if this ability was in the lustre kernel, if we build the newer mdadm.

Thanks!

Brock Palen
www.umich.edu/~brockp
Center for Advanced Computing