[Lustre-discuss] uninit_bg

Wojciech Turek wjt27 at cam.ac.uk
Tue Jun 1 07:04:32 PDT 2010

I have a Lustre filesystem that has been created 3 years ago. I would
like to enable uninit_bg feature on that filesystem devices.
I found in tune2fs manual page that :
--
Enabling certain filesystem features may prevent the filesystem from
being mounted by kernels which  do not  support  those  features.  In

The ldiskfs of the filesystem is based on ext3 so I am not sure if it
would be safe to enable that feature. However my other, newer Lustre
filesystem has also ldiskfs based on ext3 file system and I can see
that uninit_bg feature is enabled there (It had to be enabled by
default at the filesystem creation time). So my question is, if it is
safe to enable uninit_bg feature on already created ldiskfs (based on
ext3) ?

My system information:
RHEL5.4 kernel  2.6.18-164.11.1.el5_lustre.1.8.3
e2fsprogs-1.41.10.sun2-0redhat.x86_64

Best regards

Wojciech Turek

Assistant System Manager