[Lustre-discuss] Selective e2fsprogs installation on Ubuntu

Andreas Dilger andreas.dilger at oracle.com
Tue Jun 1 10:19:05 PDT 2010

On 2010-06-01, at 07:25, Ramiro Alba Queipo wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-06-01 at 02:15 -0600, Andreas Dilger wrote:
>> On 2010-06-01, at 01:23, Ramiro Alba Queipo wrote:
>>> I've just compiled the last patched e2fsprogs (1.41.10) package suitable
>>> for the last lustre version (1.8.3) and I had some booting problems when
>>> overriding some existing files in original packages (Ubuntu LTS 10.04),
>>> so I thought it would be better to install only the needed programs from
>>> patched e2fsprogs:
>>
>> It is possible to build the lustre e2fsprogs as "ldiskfsprogs" via configure option.
>
> Fine. But, I can not see how to do it. No references to ldiskfsprogs
> when doing ./configure --help. Only seen at 'e2fsprogs.spec.in, but I do
> not know how to use. Please, could you give me a minimal guideline. I've
> worked enough with autoconf/automake so that I can understand it .

Hmm, possibly this is still in a patch at LLNL?  Maybe Jim (CC'd) can send you their latest patch.

Also, depending on what the problem actually is, you can build the e2fsprogs package without many of the optional components:

  --disable-libuuid	  do not build private uuid library
  --disable-libblkid	  do not build private blkid library
  --disable-debugfs   	  disable support of debugfs program
  --disable-e2scan   	  disable support of e2scan program
  --disable-imager   	  disable support of e2image program
  --disable-resizer   	  disable support of e2resize program
  --disable-tls           disable use of thread local support
  --disable-uuidd         disable building the uuid daemon

Of course, it would also be good to figure out what was actually causing your booting problems, and fix that rather than just working around it.