[Lustre-discuss] Lustre and loop devices

Sergey Arlashin s.arlashin at gmail.com
Tue Jun 15 11:47:54 PDT 2010

Hi!
Here
http://blogs.sun.com/atulvid/entry/improving_performance_of_small_files is
described a very interesting way to improve the performance of small files
on a Lustre storage - to mount a loopback file, which is actually placed on
the storage with LustreFS. I checked - it really worked. It greatly improved
the speed. But in the end of the doc there is a notice:
"Under heavy memory loads, Lustre sometime drops pages of IO going to
loopback mounted files. This is a known issue is being worked on."
What does it actually mean? And how it can affect my data on the storage?
And does anybody actually use this method? Is there any way to use it
safely?

-----
WBR, Sergey Arlashin