[Lustre-discuss] Using brw_stats to diagnose lustre performance

Brian J. Murrell Brian.Murrell at oracle.com
Tue Jun 15 14:51:59 PDT 2010

On Tue, 2010-06-15 at 15:08 -0600, Andreas Dilger wrote:
> Also setting the max RPC size on the client to be 768kB would avoid
> the need for each RPC to generate 2 IO requests.

I wondered about this too but recall I did an on-site at a client one
time where this was necessary.  They did a 7+1 RAID5 before we got
involved (or we'd have councilled them otherwise) and therefore did not
get 1MB raid stripes.  It seemed that setting the client max RPC didn't
really have the effect that we thought it would/should.

That said, that was quite a while ago (1.6.x timeframe) and it could
very well have been a bug that has been since fixed.

b.