[Lustre-discuss] lnet infiniband config

Thomas Roth t.roth at gsi.de
Tue Jun 22 07:19:08 PDT 2010

Hi all,

I'm getting my feet wet in the infiniband lake and of course I run into
some problems.
It would seem I got the compilation part of sles11 kernel 2.6.27 +
Lustre 1.8.3 + ofed 1.4.2 right, because it allows me to see and use the
infiniband fabric, and because ko2iblnd loads without any complaints.

In /etc/modprobe.d/lustre (this is a Debian system, hence this subdir of
modprobe-configs), I have
> options ip2nets="o2ib0 192.168.0.[1-5]"
I load lnet and do 'lctl network up', but then 'lctl list_nids' will
invariably give me only
> 192.168.0.1 at tcp
no matter how I twist the modprobe-config (ip2nets="o2ib",
network="o2ib", network="o2ib(ib0), etc.)

This is true as long as I have ib0 configured with the IP 192.168.0.1
Once I unconfigure it, I get, quite expectedly,
LNET configure error 100: Network is down

So I can either configure ipoib and bring up the network, but using tcp,
or I don't configure ib0 and then cannot start the network -? ;-{}  I
think I'm rather missing something here.
Any clues?

Cheers,
Thomas