[Lustre-discuss] Luns bigger than 16T

Andreas Dilger andreas.dilger at oracle.com
Wed Jun 23 02:12:01 PDT 2010

On 2010-06-21, at 12:47, Roger Spellman wrote:
> With 3T disks coming out soon, can anyone tell me what is involved with creating an OST that is bigger than 16T (on the 1.8.x branch)?

The first step is to get the latest e2fsprogs from Git, which has alpha support for > 2^32 block filesystems, then port the lustre patches to same.

If you specify the "force_over_16tb" mount option to ext4-based ldiskfs, then you can begin TESTING the support for > 16TB OSTs.  We haven't yet begun testing this ourselves, so feedback is welcome.

> Will Lustre support 32T or 64T LUNs any time soon?

That's hard to say, but starting testing on it will definitely speed up the process.

Lustre Technical Lead
Oracle Corporation Canada Inc.