[Lustre-discuss] Optimize parallel commpilation on lustre

Maxence Dunnewind maxence at dunnewind.net
Wed Jun 23 23:54:21 PDT 2010

Hi,

I'm using lustre 1.8.3 with a SSI (single system image). I'm trying to make some
compilation bench. My process is simple :
download 2.6.34 kernel
extract it on a lustre mount
make defconfig
time make -j X

for reference, if I use only one client, with a local filesystem, it takes about
3min50. The same client alone with a mounted lustre partition (with local lock)
takes more than 10 minutes.

Using lustre on my SSI, I have these results :
-j 4 : 9min37
-j 8 : 5min34
-j 12 : 4min42
-j 16 : 4min19

so even with 16 process (on 4 nodes), I can't compile faster than 1 local node ...
I tried http://blogs.sun.com/atulvid/entry/improving_performance_of_small_files
but it does not change anything.

My lustre setup :
1 mgs + mds
3 OST

Is there some other way to optimize it or is lustre just bad on multiple access
for small file ?

Regards,

Maxence
--
Maxence DUNNEWIND
Contact : maxence at dunnewind.net
Site : http://www.dunnewind.net
06 32 39 39 93
GPG : 18AE 61E4 D0B0 1C7C AAC9  E40D 4D39 68DB 0D2E B533