[Lustre-discuss] default quotas

Ms. Megan Larko dobsonunit at gmail.com
Mon Jun 28 05:51:02 PDT 2010

Hi Brian,

Well,  Lustre, or any other file system cannot make assumptions about
a 'basic default' quota because disk space quotas are so dependent
upon the size of the disk mount point and the number of users sharing
the pool---so I am assuming that is not what you mean.

If you mean setting a site-wide default quota value, then yes, I'm
following here.   The quota system on the ext3 file system does have a
-p or "preen" option that allows the operator to set quotas for one
user and then to propagate that to many other users.     No, I did not
see such a tool for Lustre file system quotas.  My own usage is that I
script the initialization of quotas on Lustre filesystems.   I then
add that line to my new user procedure.  Does that better answer your
question?

If anyone on the List has better ideas, please do share them with us.

megan