[Lustre-discuss] Max bandwidth through a single 4xQDR IB link?

Kevin Van Maren kevin.van.maren at oracle.com
Tue Jun 29 06:57:17 PDT 2010

DAPL is a high-performance interface that uses a small shim to provide a
common DMA API on top of (in this case) the IB verbs layer.  In general,
there is a very small performance impact to be able to use the common
API, so you will not get more large-message bandwidth using native IB verbs.

I've never had enough disk bandwidth behind a node to saturate a QDR IB
link, so I'm not sure how high LNET will go.  If you have an IB test
cluster, you should be able to measure the upper limits by creating an
OST on a loopback device on tmpfs, although you have to ensure the
client-side cache is not skewing your results (hint: boot client with
something like "mem=1g" to limit the ram they can use for the cache).

While the QDR IB link bandwidth is 4GB/s (or around 3.9GB/s with 2KB
packets), the maximum HCA bandwidth is normally around 3.2GB/s
(unidirectional), due to the PCIe overhead of breaking the transaction
into (relatively) small packets and managing the packet flow
control/credits.  This is independent of the protocol, and limited by
the PCIe Gen2 x8 PCIe interface.  You will see somewhat higher bandwidth
if your system supports and uses a 256 byte MaxPayload, rather than 128
bytes.  Use lspci to see what your system is using, as in: "lspci -vv -d
15b3: | grep MaxPayload"

Kevin