[Lustre-discuss] High Load and high system CPU for mds

Oleg Drokin Oleg.Drokin at Sun.COM
Mon Mar 1 11:35:18 PST 2010

Hello!

On Feb 28, 2010, at 9:31 PM, huangql wrote:
> We got a problem that the MDS has high load value and the system CPU is up to 60% when running chown command on client. It's strange that the load value and system CPU didn't decrease to the normal level as long as it getted high. Even we can't do anything on clients and OSS. You can see the information with top command as follows:

How many files did that chown command affected (was it a chown -R for some huge directory tree?).
Essentially chown (setattr) works in two steps, first it changes MDS attributes then it queues an async RPC for
every file object to update the attributes on OST. If there are many files that are getting updated this way,
there would be a lot of such messages queued and all the messages are sent at once with no rate limiting.
Thisis consistent with what you are seeing here, ptlrpcd is busy sending/receiving RPCs (ptlrpcd is lustre
thread that handles async RPCs sending/completion) and individual socklnd threads are also busy processing
network transfers (also I think the code in lnet is not tuned to process huge amounts of outstanding RPCs
which leads to additional CPU overhead in that case).

So on the surface it looks like everything performs as expected, though certainly lustre might have
behaved better.
How long did you wait with this high cpu utilization before deciding to reboot and how many files
were affected by the chown?

Bye,
    Oleg