[Lustre-discuss] upgrading lustre 1.6.x to 1.8.x, client or server first?

Jim Karellas qm137 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 1 18:29:14 PST 2010

Hi Everyone,

We are planning an upgrade from 1.6.x to 1.8.x and would like know,
especially
for the larger sites, which systems people are upgrading first; servers
or clients.

Lustre is compatible with doing upgrades either way:

upgrade servers to 1.8.x first, then following with clients

OR

upgrade clients to 1.8.x first, then following with servers

I'm guessing the large sites can't just upgrade everything to 1.8.x at a
single
point in time.  (I know we can't take that kind of downtime.)

So what are the larger sites doing and more importantly, why are you
doing it
that way?

Thanks,

jdk