[Lustre-discuss] One or two OSS, no difference?

Jeffrey Bennett jab at sdsc.edu
Wed Mar 3 15:35:23 PST 2010

Hi Lustre experts

We are building a very small Lustre cluster with 32 clients (patchless) and two OSS servers. Each OSS server has 1 OST with 1 TB of Solid State Drives. All is connected using dual-port DDR IB.

For testing purposes, I am enabling/disabling one of the OSS/OST by using the "lfs setstripe" command. I am running XDD and vdbench benchmarks.

Does anybody have an idea why there is no difference in MB/sec or random IOPS when using one OSS or two OSS? A quick test with "dd" also shows the same MB/sec when using one or two OSTs.

Thanks

jab