[Lustre-discuss] problems restoring from MDT backup (test file system)

Frederik Ferner frederik.ferner at diamond.ac.uk
Thu Mar 4 03:21:22 PST 2010

Hi List,

on my test file system I'm currently trying to verify once more that I
can restore the MDT from my backups but I'm running into some problems.

The MDS is running RHEL5.3 and Lustre 1.6.7.2.

I use the following procedure to backup the MDT:

create LVM snapshot from MDT device
mount LVM snapshot as ldiskfs
extract EAs with getfattr
tar up the whole MDT tree from ldiskfs using '/bin/tar czSf
/tmp/${BACKUP_FILE} --acls --numeric-owner .'

In previous tests the restore appeared to work fine even though I was
not quite sure about the ACLs as I had not recorded them before
destroying the MDT at that time.

This time I have some problems with the tar file when I want to verify
the list of files before destroying the MDT:

<snip>
tar tizf test_MDT_Backup.tar.gz
./ROOT/tmp/frederik/cs04r-sc-com02-04/
./ROOT/tmp/frederik/cs04r-sc-com02-04/iozone.DUMMY.47
tar: Unexpected EOF in archive
</snip>

Doing the same with older backup files or backups from our production
file system don't show this error but for the current test file system,
I can reproduce this easily with any new backup file that I create. The
list of files that I see when creating a new tar file (adding -v to the
tar options) from the test file system does include many files after the
last one in the output above, but the new file has exactly the same
problem at the same place.

Has anyone seen something like this before?

What could we try to recover the data from the old backup? Or is this
most likely impossible?

Could this indicate a problem on the files system?

I've not tried to run fsck on the MDT as I'd like to extract the files
from the tar files if possible independent of fixing the existing file
system as an exercise.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Frederik
--
Frederik Ferner
Computer Systems Administrator		phone: +44 1235 77 8624