[Lustre-discuss] problems restoring from MDT backup (test file system)

Frederik Ferner frederik.ferner at diamond.ac.uk
Thu Mar 4 04:46:36 PST 2010

Brian,

thanks for your reply.

Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-03-04 at 11:21 +0000, Frederik Ferner wrote:
>> tar tizf test_MDT_Backup.tar.gz
>> ./ROOT/tmp/frederik/cs04r-sc-com02-04/
>> ./ROOT/tmp/frederik/cs04r-sc-com02-04/iozone.DUMMY.47
>> tar: Unexpected EOF in archive
>> tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
>> </snip>
>
> Looks to me like either your tar executable is broken or your archive is
> broken.  A typical process of elimination should help you discover which
> is the case.

It certainly looks like it's the tar archive that is broken. I get the
same when I copy it over to a different machine. Unless is the tar
executable that is broken so that it creates the broken archive as every
time I create a new archive it seems to be broken at the same place.

Other tar files created on the same machine don't have that problem, but
I'll try creating a new archive with a new executable.

Thanks,
Frederik
--
Frederik Ferner
Computer Systems Administrator		phone: +44 1235 77 8624