[Lustre-discuss] Question regarding caution statement in 1.8 manual for the consistent mode flock option

Jagga Soorma jagga13 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 5 14:18:14 PST 2010

Hi Guys,

Thanks Andreas for pointing me to the flock options.  However, I see the
following caution statement for the consistent mode:

--
CAUTION: This mode has a noticeable performance impact and may affect
stability, depending on the Lustre version used. Consider using a newer

Is there an impact if the option is turned on, or only if it is turned on
and used?  Is the impact local to the file being locked, the machine on
which that file is locked, or the entire set of machines mounting that
lustre file system?

Thanks in advance,
-J