[Lustre-discuss] RPC limitation

Andreas Dilger adilger at sun.com
Wed Mar 10 02:58:08 PST 2010

On 2010-03-09, at 17:40, Jeffrey Bennett wrote:
> Is there any way to "force" an RPC page size of 256kb and pack
> several 4kb random operations into a 256k page so the final
> throughput can increase?

As Oleg mentioned, Lustre will in fact pack up to 256 random 4kB
writes into a single RPC/RDMA over the network, IFF they are for the
same object.

There is the long-standing bug 988 that relates to packing multiple
small writes for different objects on the same OST into a single RPC/
RDMA request, but there was never enough demand to finish it.

Sr. Staff Engineer, Lustre Group
Sun Microsystems of Canada, Inc.