[Lustre-discuss] Running fsck on disabled ost?

Andreas Dilger adilger at sun.com
Thu Mar 18 16:16:11 PDT 2010

On 2010-03-18, at 11:36, Roy Dragseth wrote:
> Is it possible to fsck on a disabled and drained OST that is mounted
> readonly?
>
> We need to fsck an OST and would like to avoid a lengthy downtime
> while doing
> it.  My plan is to disable and drain the files from the OST and then
> remount it read-only before running fsck on the partition.  This
> would allow for the
> system being online during this operation instead of hanging on all df
> commands etc.  But is it at all possible to do it this way?  I would
> like to
> avoid any large scale catastrophic events...

If the filesystem is damaged and you need to run e2fsck on it, then
modifying the filesystem by trying to drain the files from the OST is
a bad idea.  You should minimize the amount of changes made to the
filesystem before you can run e2fsck on it.

Sr. Staff Engineer, Lustre Group
Sun Microsystems of Canada, Inc.