[Lustre-discuss] Is OFED 'kernel-ib' required for o2ib on RHEL5?

Ken Hornstein kenh at cmf.nrl.navy.mil
Tue Mar 23 08:09:33 PDT 2010

>I also noticed something in trying to compile lustre. The
>"Module.symvers" file is very much needed but is only created after you do
>"make/make modules" in the /usr/src/linux directory. It does NOT exist
>before then and the lustre installation guide  makes it seem
>like this file should exist when you unpack the sources. But it does
>not. Hence you cannot go on to run configure on lustre and expect the
>modules to work.

In my (limited) experience, it depends on your distribution.

If you get a "development" kernel RPM that corresponds to an
already-built binary kernel, I've found it to already be there.  If
you're compiling your own kernel from scratch, yeah, you have to have
it already built before you compile modules against it ...  but that's
true for any third-party kernel module, I would think.

--Ken