[Lustre-discuss] Is OFED 'kernel-ib' required for o2ib on RHEL5?

Tue Mar 23 08:25:07 PDT 2010

On Mon, 2010-03-22 at 20:22 -0700, Adeyemi Adesanya wrote:
> Hi.

Hi,

> I'm working on installing Lustre 1.8.2 on RHEL5.4. I noticed that the
> kernel-ib RPM is not available from the download site.

That's right.  That's because for RHEL5, our 1.8.2 release has the o2ib
LND built against the OFED that's in the RHEL5 kernel (1.4.1rc3 IIRC,
which is what was made 1.4.2, again, IIRC).  So you don't need a
kernel-ib RPM and o2iblnd will work with RHEL5's built-in OFED.

> I did get hold
> of the OFED 1.5 source and built a version of kernel-ib but is this
> step essential for o2ib LNET on RHEL5?

Not at all, per the above.  You just install the RHEL5.4 kernel and then
when you (or your kernel does a) modprobe o2iblndm all should work just
fine.

> I would like to try and retain
> compatibility with the RedHat OFED distribution and use the versions
> of openmpi, etc supplied by RedHat.

Then I would recommend using the OFED that shipped with the RHEL5.4
kernel, which is what Lustre 1.8.2 is doing.

> The Lustre 1.8.2 patched
> RHEL5 kernel appears to already include Infiniband drivers in "/lib/
> modules/2.6.18-164.11.1.el5_lustre.1.8.2/kernel/drivers/infiniband".

These were not put there by us but by RH.  If you look in a stock
RHEL5.4 kernel you will find the exact same modules.

b.