[Lustre-discuss] add new network links to existing OSS

Cliff White Cliff.White at Sun.COM
Wed Mar 24 11:11:18 PDT 2010

Jake Maul wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> We've got a small Lustre network set up, and have rather suddenly run
> into a bottleneck with a single gigabit link to certain OSS's.
>
> http://wiki.lustre.org/manual/LustreManual18_HTML/Bonding.html#50638966_pgfId-1289000
>
> Based on that page in the manual, it sounds like setting up Lustre to
> handle multiple links will give us better performance than setting up
> a traditional bonded ethernet link. My question is... how do we do
> that in an existing setup? Clearly we need to edit modprobe.conf and
> add the new network interface, and reload all the lnet-related
> modules. Does anything need to happen besides that?

That's not generally true. In almost all cases, you are better off using
the bonded interface.

> My concern is that the new link would also have it's own IP. Does
> anything need to be "informed" of this additional IP (like the
> MGS/MDS)? Any other pitfalls we need to be aware of?

Bunches. Basically you would have to start with the second interface on
a different subnet, establishing routing, etc. All nodes need to know
about it. You're really better off with bonding.
cliffw