[Lustre-discuss] programmatic access to parameters

Daniel Kobras kobras at linux.de
Thu Mar 25 10:53:48 PDT 2010

On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 10:07:03AM -0700, burlen wrote:
> > I don't know what your constraints are, but should note that this sort
> > of information (number of OSTs) can be obtained rather trivially from
> > any lustre client via shell prompt, to wit:
> True, but parsing the output of a c "system" call is something I hoped
> to avoid. It might not be portable and might be fragile over time.
>
> This also gets at my motivation for asking for a header with the Lustre
> limits, if I hard code something down the road the limits change, and we
> are suddenly shooting ourselves in the foot.

Instead of teaching the application some filesystem intrinsics, you could
also teach the queueing system about your application's output behaviour
and let it set up and adequately configured working directory. GridEngine
allows to run queue-specific prolog scripts for this purpose, other systems
certainly offer similar features.

Regards,

Daniel.