[Lustre-discuss] filter_grant_incoming()) LBUG in 1.8.1.1

Cliff White Cliff.White at Sun.COM
Fri Mar 26 01:29:15 PDT 2010

Scott Barber wrote:
> Background:
> MDS and OSTs are all running CentOS 5.4 / x86_64 /
> 2.6.18-128.7.1.el5_lustre.1.8.1.1
> 2 types of clients
>  - CentOS 5.4 / x86_64 / 2.6.18-128.7.1.el5_lustre.1.8.1.1
>  - Ubuntu 8.04.1 / i686 / 2.6.22.19 patchless
>
> A few days ago one of the OSSs hit an LBUG. The syslog looked like:
> http://pastie.org/887643
>
> I brought it back up by unmounting the OSTs, restarting the machine
> and remounting the OSTs. The OST was just fine after that, but this
> seemed to start a chain-reaction with other OSSs. I'd run into the
> same LBUG and same call trace in the syslog on other OSSs. I kept
> bringing them back up again and an hour later it would happen again -
> interestingly never on the same OSS twice. It finally stopped when I
> unmounted the MDS/MGS, rebooted the MDS server and them remounted it
> again. We had no issues after that.... until this afternoon :(
>
> In researching the issue it looks as though it is bug #19338 which in
> turn is a duplicate of #20278. It looks as though that bug isn't
> slated for 1.8 at all. Am I reading that right? There's been no
> testing that I could tell of the patch on 1.8.x so I'm leery of trying
> to patch my servers. Is there something else that I can do? Any more
> info you need?

I've attached a 1.8.x version of the patch to 20278. Builds fine on
rhel5.  Further tests are in the queue, but likely to be awhile running.
I've also asked for landings/further inspection, you can follow progress
in the bug.
cliffw