[Lustre-discuss] How to force client-oss communication over IB when the MDS has only ethernet?

Cliff White Cliff.White at Sun.COM
Fri Mar 26 01:41:25 PDT 2010

Tero Hakala wrote:
> Hi,
> our MDS is temporarily missing IB connection and has only eth available.
> However, OSS and clients have both IB and eth.
>
> At the moment, it seems that all the traffic between clients-OSS goes
> also through the slow eth connection.  Is it possible to force them to
> use faster IB interfaces when communication with each other, and only
> use eth to communicate with the MDS?
>
> Both clients and OSS have interfaces configured as
> options lnet networks=o2ib0(ib0),tcp0(eth0)  (in modprobe.conf) also
> lctl ping works fine over IB.   The documents seem to suggests that the
> first interface is preferred, but apparently it is not when MDS is only
> available through the other.

I believe in this case since you are using the tcp NID for the client
mount, lnet assumes that you are using tcp0, since tcp0 can reach the
OSS. I think you might be able to use options lnet ip2nets on the
clients to force the client-OSS connection to use ib0.

cliffw