[Lustre-discuss] odd mount behavior

Heald, Nathan T. nheald at indiana.edu
Mon Mar 29 15:27:26 PDT 2010

While I've never used Lustre on IB, I have seen clients with very similar symptoms before when the network appears to be functioning properly. You should verify that jumbo frames are getting passed properly between your networks (or switch ports if both hosts are on the same network segment). If your MDS has MTU set for 9000 but the client has MTU at the default of 1500 then the MDS will send a jumbo frame at the very last moment in the mount process and it never shows up on the client. The symptom is repeated timeout errors in syslog during the mount on both the client and MDS and a hanging mount command.

Assuming you are using jumbo frames send a packet larger than MTU1500 from both hosts, if it fails it's an MTU issue:
ping -s 8000 10.4.200.6

If there's a router between your hosts you might try sending a jumbo frame with Don't-Fragment set, sometimes routers can silently drop these:
ping -s 8000 -M do 10.4.200.6

Again, if there's a router between your hosts you can double check with the "tracepath" command which sets the DF bit. If it stops returning output at some point between your hosts then Path-MTU-Discovery will not work and hence the client on that network segment will get this issue while clients on other networks may work fine. The next hop beyond the last IP which returns PMTU packets in the tracepath output is the one silently dropping DF packets on you, use traceroute to compare and locate the offender.

If both hosts are on the same network segment (no router between them) then this should not be an issue anyway as it's assumed both hosts are configured for the proper MTU of their local network. I haven't tested this on IB, but on Myricom 10GB nics we found that if one host has the wrong MTU set you may see the error count for the interface increment during the failing mount attempt. Since the network stack on the client with the smaller MTU can't handle the jumbo frames, it tosses them and increments the error counter (visible with "netstat -I"). Your mileage may vary with IB.

Hope this helps.
-Nathan