[Lustre-discuss] Is using resize2fs on the MDT a supported option?

Adeyemi Adesanya yemi at slac.stanford.edu
Fri May 14 09:41:32 PDT 2010

We are are about to install a new Lustre 1.8.2 installation with ~1PB
of filesystem space. We have to make a decision regarding the MDT
storage and someone suggested that in the event we run out of inodes
on the MDT, using resize2fs would be an option (assuming the
filesystem was created on an LVM partition).

Most of the documentation I have read stresses the importance of MDT
planning. There is a small mention of resize2fs in the manual but it
is not clear if this is a robust, reliable technique or if this would
actually give us more inodes. Should we really be setting up a new
Lustre installation with the intention of using resize2fs in the future?

-------
Yemi