[Lustre-discuss] MGS Nids

leen smit leen at service2media.com
Thu May 20 03:46:42 PDT 2010

Dear All,

Im in the middle of creating a new Lustre setup, as a replacement for
our current one.
The current one is a single machine with MGS/MDT/OST all living on this
one box.

In the new setup I have 4 machines, two MDT's and  two OST's
We want to use keepalived as a failover mechanism between the two MDT's.
To keep the MDT's in sync, I'm using a DRBD disk between the two.

Keepalive uses a VIP in a active/passive state. In a failover situation
the VIP gets transferred to the passive one.

The problem I'm experiencing, is that I can't seem to get the VIP listed
as a NID, thus the OSS can only connect on the real IP, which is
unwanted in this situation. Is there an easy way to change the nid on
the MGS machine to the VIP?

See below for setup details. The last output from lctl list_nids is the
problem area, where is that NID coming from?

I hope some one can shed some light on this...

Cheers,

Leen

Hosts:
192.168.21.32   fs-mgs-001
192.168.21.33   fs-mgs-002
192.168.21.34   fs-ost-001
192.168.21.35   fs-ost-002
192.168.21.40   fs-mgs-vip

mkfs.lustre --reformat --fsname datafs --mgs --mgsnode=fs-mgs-vip at tcp
/dev/VG1/mgs
mkfs.lustre --reformat --fsname datafs --mdt --mgsnode=fs-mgs-vip at tcp
/dev/drbd1

mount -t lustre /dev/VG1/mgs mgs/
mount -t lustre /dev/drbd1 /mnt/mdt/

fs-mgs-001:/mnt# lctl dl
   0 UP mgs MGS MGS 9
   1 UP mgc MGC192.168.21.40 at tcp 8f8dfecc-44bd-caae-3ed4-cd23168d59ab 5
   2 UP mdt MDS MDS_uuid 3
   3 UP lov datafs-mdtlov datafs-mdtlov_UUID 4
   4 UP mds datafs-MDT0000 datafs-MDT0000_UUID 3

fs-mgs-001:/mnt# lctl list_nids
192.168.21.32 at tcp