[Lustre-discuss] Future of lustre 1.8.3+

Ramiro Alba Queipo raq at cttc.upc.edu
Thu May 20 08:48:15 PDT 2010

Hi all,

On Wed, 2010-05-19 at 14:43 +0200, Bernd Schubert wrote:

> That is what I would recommend and what several groups do (usually with
> Debian, though).
>
> >  not running the sles/rhel distro ? I know a lot of things can happen but
> >  are these rhel/sles patches do brake some key features of the kernel which
> >  would  only work under that specific distro ? I've positivley tested a
> >  lustre client with a sles patched kernel on a gentoo distro. But i'am a
> >  bit nervous about testing it on our live lustre server system.
>
> The only thing that really might cause trouble is udev, since sysfs
> maintainers like to break old udev versions. I think upcoming Debian Squeeze
> requires 2.6.27 at a minimum.

Argg!!!, I think I am stacked with this situation. I compiled
linux-2.6.18-164.11.1.el5.tar.bz2 under Ubuntu 10.04 (from Debian
Squeeze) using make-kpkg and after dealing with postinst.d hooks to
create initrd image (not created by default!!!), I tried to boot and
then I got the following before dropping into a initramfs shell:

Begin: Mounting root file system... ...
Begin: Running /scripts/local-top ...
Done.
libudev: udev_monitor_new_from_netlink: error getting socket: Invalid
argument wait-for-root[431] : segfault
Gave up waiting form root device. Common problems:
  - Boot args (cat /proc/cmdline)
    - Check rootdelay= (did the system wait long enough?)
    - Check root= (did the system wait for the right device?)
  -Missing modules (cat /proc/modules; ls /dev)
ALERT! /dev/disk/by-uuid/0cff75ed-ba7f-4799-b596-cf2b214b9768 does not
exist. Dropping to a shell!

BusyBox v1.13.3 (Ubuntu 1:1.13.3-1ubuntu11) buit-in shell (ask)
Enter 'Help' for a list of built-in commands.

(initramfs)

Is this the problem you are talking about? Could you give me some ideas
of how can be solved?

Regards

--
Ramiro Alba

Centre Tecnològic de Tranferència de Calor
http://www.cttc.upc.edu

Escola Tècnica Superior d'Enginyeries
Industrial i Aeronàutica de Terrassa
Colom 11, E-08222, Terrassa, Barcelona, Spain
Tel: (+34) 93 739 86 46

--
Aquest missatge ha estat analitzat per MailScanner
a la cerca de virus i d'altres continguts perillosos,