[Lustre-discuss] What would happen if

Kevin Van Maren kevin.van.maren at oracle.com
Wed May 26 10:08:05 PDT 2010

If you are creating files that are a significant fraction of the free
space on your OSTs, you _should_ stripe
them across multiple OSTs (lfs setstripe).

Also note that ENOSPC is likely to be returned before the OST is
actually "out" of space: due to the
OST pre-granting space to the clients, ENOSPC is returned when (free -
grants) = 0.  The more Lustre
clients you have, the sooner this occurs.  See Bug 22498

Additionally, there are some grant leaks that can cause the server's
view of the grant to be inflated;
see Bug 22755

Kevin