[Lustre-discuss] Future of lustre 1.8.3+

Andreas Dilger andreas.dilger at oracle.com
Mon May 31 10:12:19 PDT 2010

On 2010-05-31, at 02:49, Heiko Schröter wrote:
Am Samstag 29 Mai 2010, um 05:10:25 schrieben Sie:
> I'am trying to define a procedure for me how to upgrade our lustre 1.6.6 running  vanilla 2.6.22.19 kernels (gentoo distribution) to lustre 1.8.3 with SLES11 kernel 2.6.27.39.
> Having said that i did it on a client and it works for the client side.
> Before sending 100TB data down the drain i want to make sure that the general approach of upgrading "sounds" reasonable.
>
>> You don't really need to rebuild e2fsprogs on every  MDS/OSS, and in fact there is no reason to rebuild/reinstall e2fsprogs when updating Lustre - the same e2fsprogs is usable for all Lustre versions.  Even if you are building your own Lustre you can probably use the pre-built e2fsprogs.
>
> Hm, that sounds differently (to me) in the READMEs and on the Webpage for upgrading from 1.8.2 to 1.8.3.

Sorry, you are right that if you are upgrading from Lustre 1.6.6 (which is quite old) that you should also upgrade to the latest e2fsprogs at the same time.  While there are no immediate incompatibilities between the two, of course the newer version has quite a number of bug fixes from upstream and also Lustre-specific fixes.

I was just pointing out that the version of e2fsprogs is not directly tied to the minor release of Lustre.  In fact Lustre and e2fsprogs are released independently, so the goal is that the latest version of e2fsprogs can run against all versions of Lustre.

The only reason we need different e2fsprogs binaries for different distros is that unfortunately the RPM dependency and library names are different between RHEL and SLES (even if they are the same version) so a single RPM will not install cleanly on both distros.

> I cannot not oversee myself what e2fs versions are really needed, as there are different packages for SLES and RH, so i try to stick to the docs as close as poss.
> For upgrading i understand that i need to  use "tunefs.lustre" et al and i'am not sure if these commands trigger some of the e2fsprogs.

Lustre Technical Lead
Oracle Corporation Canada Inc.