[Lustre-discuss] MPI-IO / ROMIO support for Lustre

Mark Dixon m.c.dixon at leeds.ac.uk
Wed Nov 3 03:18:51 PDT 2010

On Mon, 1 Nov 2010, Martin Pokorny wrote:
> FWIW, we've been using MPICH2's MPI-IO/ROMIO/ADIO with Lustre (v 1.8)
> for several months now, and it's been working reliably. We do mount the
> Lustre filesystem with "flock"; at one time I thought it necessary, but
> I don't recall if I verified that after the initial problems with MPI-IO
> were resolved. Only a recent MPICH2 will have a working
> MPI-IO/ROMIO/ADIO for Lustre; perhaps the code would work with OpenMPI
> and MVAPICH2 as well.

Is MPICH2 where ROMIO is developed these days? I found it pretty difficult
to work out where the public face of its development was...

On Tue, 2 Nov 2010, Larry wrote:

> we use  "localflock"  in order to work with MPI-IO. "flock" may
> consume more addtional resource than "localflock".

Thanks for posting both of you, much appreciated :)

Cripes, a tie (sort of). I think the following supports the "flock"
option, but I would appreciate anyone putting-in a counter-opinion:

1) Is it a naive view that, if ROMIO asks for an flock, it needs it? And
that if it doesn't on Lustre, then eventually ROMIO will be developed to
stop asking for them?

2) A message in the list archive says that Cray recommend "flock" for
their clusters, and it sounds like they use an enhanced version of ROMIO in
their MPT product.

The ADIO driver for Lustre certainly looks like it's still being actively
worked-on to get it to maturity, and that various MPI implementations
still need time to incorporate those changes.

I note that the main MPI releases we use on our cluster (OpenMPI 1.4 and
MVAPICH2 1.4 - we're a year behind) have V04 of ad_lustre, but MVAPICH2 is
now closest to MPICH2 as it has since moved to V05. Looks like I need to
do a software refresh... and recommend our MPI-IO users to use MVAPICH2
for the time being.

Thanks,

Mark
Mark Dixon                       Email    : m.c.dixon at leeds.ac.uk
HPC/Grid Systems Support         Tel (int): 35429
Information Systems Services     Tel (ext): +44(0)113 343 5429
University of Leeds, LS2 9JT, UK