[Lustre-discuss] mkfs.lustre fails, ldiskfs: ext4 or ext3 ?

Thomas Roth t.roth at gsi.de
Wed Nov 3 12:25:54 PDT 2010

Hi all,

my attempt to format a new OST failed (mkfs.lustre: Unable to mount
/dev/sdd: Invalid argument), obviously because sdd has "device size =
15253504MB", and the log tells me 'LDISKFS-fs does not support
filesystems greater than 8TB and can cause data corruption.'

However, this is a Lustre 1.8.4 installation, I have compiled the kernel
and modules myself and I have checked the 'modules/lustre/ldiskfs -
config.log' to start with the following:

It was created by Lustre ldiskfs configure 3.1.3, which was
generated by GNU Autoconf 2.61.  Invocation command line was

  $ ./configure --prefix=/usr --with-linux=/usr/src/linux-2.6.27.39-0.3
--disable-quilt --disable-dependency-tracking --disable-doc
--disable-utils --disable-liblustre --enable-snmp --enable-ldiskfs
--disable-zerocopy --disable-tests --enable-quota CC=gcc-4.3
--enable-ext4 --with-lustre-hack --with-sockets --cache-file=/dev/null
--srcdir=.

All subsequent references to ext4 in this config.log seem to indicate
that my ldiskfs should be based on ext4 and thus be able to handle a
large device.

Is there a way to check ask the module itself about its capabilities?
Or is there perhaps a magic switch for mkfs.lustre?

Cheers,
Thomas