[Lustre-discuss] questions about an OST content

Andreas Dilger andreas.dilger at oracle.com
Sat Nov 6 08:09:24 PDT 2010

On 2010-11-06, at 8:24, Bob Ball <ball at umich.edu> wrote:
> I am emptying a set of OST so that I can reformat the underlying RAID-6
> more efficiently.  Two questions:
> 1. Is there a quick way to tell if the OST is really empty?  lfs_find
> takes many hours to run.

If you mount the OST as type ldiskfs and look in the O/0/d* directories (capital-O, zero) there should be a few hundred zero-length objects owned by root.

> 2. When I reformat, I want it to retain the same ID so as to not make
> "holes" in the list.  From the following information, am I correct to
> assume that the id is 24?  If not, how do I determine the correct ID to
> use when we re-create the file system?

If you still have the existing OST, the easiest way to do this is to save the files last_rcvd, O/0/LAST_ID, and CONFIGS/*, and copy them into the reformatted OST.

> /dev/sdj              3.5T  3.1T  222G  94% /mnt/ost51
>  10 UP obdfilter umt3-OST0018 umt3-OST0018_UUID 547
> umt3-OST0018_UUID           3.4T        3.0T      221.1G  88%
> /lustre/umt3[OST:24]
>  20 IN osc umt3-OST0018-osc umt3-mdtlov_UUID 5

The OST index is indeed 24 (18 hex). As for /dev/sdj, it is hard to know from the above info. If you run "e2label /dev/sdj"  the filesystem label should match the OST name umt3-OST0018.