[Lustre-discuss] non-consecutive OST ordering

Christopher Walker cwalker at fas.harvard.edu
Tue Nov 9 07:45:27 PST 2010

For reasons that I can't recall, our OSTs are not in consecutive order
-- we have 35 OSTs, which are numbered consecutively from
0000-0021
and then there's one last OST at
002a

When I try to run lfsck on this array, it works fine for the first 34
OSTs, but it can't seem to find the last OST db file:

lfsck: ost_idx 34: pass3 OK (680045 files total)
lfsck: can't find file for ost_idx 35
Files affected by missing ost info are : -
lfsck: can't find file for ost_idx 36
Files affected by missing ost info are : -
lfsck: can't find file for ost_idx 37
Files affected by missing ost info are : -
lfsck: can't find file for ost_idx 38
Files affected by missing ost info are : -
lfsck: can't find file for ost_idx 39
Files affected by missing ost info are : -
lfsck: can't find file for ost_idx 40
Files affected by missing ost info are : -
lfsck: can't find file for ost_idx 41
Files affected by missing ost info are : -
lfsck: can't find file for ost_idx 42
Files affected by missing ost info are : -
/n/scratch/hernquist_lab/tcox/tests/SbSbhs_e_8/P-Gadget3.3.1/IdlSubfind/.svn/text-base/ReadSubhaloFromReshuffledSnapshot.pro.svn-base

and then lists all of the files that live on OST 002a.  This db file
definitely does exist -- it lives in the same directory as all of the
other db files, and e2fsck for this OST ran without problems.

Is there some way of forcing lfsck to recognize this OST db?  Or,
failing that, is it dangerous to run lfsck on the first 34 OSTs only?

We're using e2fsck 1.41.6.sun1 (30-May-2009)

Thanks very much!

Chris