[Lustre-discuss] Performance Issue with lustre 2.0

Gianluca Tresoldi gianluca.tresoldi at tuttogratis.com
Fri Nov 19 03:15:56 PST 2010

Hi everyone,

I'm testing lustre 2.0 in a pre-production environment and I encountered
some problems.

My test environment consists of:
1 MDS/MGS (not combined) with 48G of ram and 16 xeon E5520 core
1 OSS with the same characteristics.
1 Client
Both MDS and OSS are connected to an ISCSI shared storage with different
volumes.

I've also production environment with lustre 1.8.2 and 2 filesystem
served by:
2 MDS/MGS where each server is active for one file system and passive
for other.
2 OSS: Same configuration of MDS.
50 Client that runs apache web-server.

I've performed a 8 hours stress test in both environment using apache
log's for replicate real traffic, this is the results:

Lustre 1.8.2
Avg load: on Mds 0,8 on Oss 0,2 and  network load on mds (on gigabit NIC
dedicated to lustre traffic) about 50.000 Kb/s.

Lustre 2.0.0
Avg load: on Mds 2,8 on Oss 0,1 and  network load on mds (on gigabit NIC
dedicated to lustre traffic) about 180.000 Kb/s.

On lustre 2.0 the network traffic is much higher than on Lustre 1.8.2,
if we considered that in addition to the stress test, on Lustre 1.8.2,
also production runs, i think there is a problem.

With TCPDump I saw that when I run multiple "ls -l" on Client connected
to lustre 1.8.2 only some time client send packet to MDS, with client
connected to lustre 2.0 all the time.

I Think that client 2.0 doesn' t cache files' attr.

could someone help me?
Thanks in advice and have a very nice day. ;)

P.S.
Sorry for my not perfect English.

--
Gianluca Tresoldi
***SysAdmin***
E-mail: gianluca.tresoldi at tuttogratis.com
http://www.tuttogratis.it
Tel Centralino 02-57313101
Tel Diretto 02-57313136
<http://www.gnu.org>Be open...
************ Confidentiality Notice & Disclaimer *************
This message, together with any attachments, is for the confidential
and exclusive use of the addressee(s). If you receive it in error,
please delete the message and its attachments from your system
immediately and notify us by return e-mail.
Do not disclose, copy, circulate or use any information contained in
this e-mail.
*