[Lustre-discuss] Delete ost

Wang Yibin wang.yibin at oracle.com
Sun Nov 21 22:13:32 PST 2010

Hello,

在 2010-11-19,上午3:21, Thomas Johansson 写道:

>>> I accidentally added an ost using an fsname belonging to another fs than
>>> what was intended.
>>
>> I am not sure I understand - Do you have multiple filesystems sharing the
>> same MGS?
>
> Yes 5 filesystems on 4 OSS:s and 2 MDS in active/passive failover.
> Some 100 TB of space in total.

Probably you misunderstood me. You seems to be using 1 filesystem(MDSx2/OSSx4) with 5 clients.
Making 5 lustre filesystems out of 4OSS/2MDS is a mission-impossible.

> The deactivation part has already been done, on all parts.
> As this was a mistake, I simply want the presence of the ost/osc out,
> not ever showing up again. Now it's showing up as INACTIVE as a part
> of the filesystem I mistakingly added it to.
> As it seems, this can't be done. Or can it?

An OST can only be deactivated rather than being removed so that later on you can reactivate it.
Currently there is no way to really remove an OST from the system as there involves complicated steps that can not be done in an 'atomic' way.
If you are very uncomfortable with the INACTIVE message, you can shutdown your filesystem and do writeconf on all your server targets, then restart them in proper order to regenerate the configuration logs. Make sure you have all your files/data striped over the inactive ost are moved out before that. Note that writeconf is not designed for this purpose so please use it with caution.